Sunday, August 7, 2016

Book: Death Thieves by Julie Wright

I've been reading a lot of books in the romance genre lately, but I've been missing some adventure and fantasy in my life. When I came across Death Thieves by Julie Wright on the Amazon Lending Library I knew I had to give it a shot. I'm glad I did!

The Blurb

"You're dead, Summer Dawn Rae." 
When Summer Rae is stolen from the moment of her own death and taken to a future where mankind is dying, it is with the hope that she, and other teenagers like her, can save it. But after only a short time in the future, Summer discovers a darker side to the altruistic reasons behind her abduction. She is determined to fulfill her purpose in a world gone literally mad, but can an ordinary girl save a whole world when she only cares about saving one person?


This book has the right amount of ingredients to keep me turning the pages:

✔  Time Travel
✔  Believable Futuristic Cities
✔  Strong and Smart Female Lead Character
✔  Believable Love Interest
✔  Life Threatening Circumstances
✔ A Civilization in Danger of Extinction
✔ An Unexpected Villain

All these elements are present in this book in a way that's very digestible and believable. As far as the world Wright has created, I liked that the technologies that were considered 'perfect' were left unchanged while some things were improved upon in a way that would normally occur through advancements in technology and science. Also, some of the new technologies that were present in the book didn't seem so far fetched, because the concepts are alive today. For example, starting your car without a key and paying at the store without handing over cash or a credit card. All these little details made the story much more believable in my mind.

Summer as the strong female lead was exactly what I was looking for. She's not without her vulnerabilities but she's smart, a quick thinker and a surviver. Summer's not afraid to go down her own path. And, she's incredibility motivated by what she feels is right and moral, which is all you can ask for as the heroin of this story.

I thought this book had a few strong messages: 1) Summer's strong bond with her sister Winter, 2) the reason in which civilization is in danger of extinction and how that course is changed and 3) the importance of learning from our past to guide the future.

This book is no Hunger Games, but I enjoyed it for what it was. I only wish there was more. I want to hear more about Tag and Summer because I know they are going to accomplish many great things in their future!

Song Dedication


I'm dedicating 'Rubik's Cube' by Athlete to Summer. She throws herself into research to find a way to change the fate of the future. She's determined there is a way to stop the cycle from perpetuating any further and she works to find a scientific solution.



No comments:

Post a Comment