Thursday, February 4, 2016

Book: 'Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)' by Mindy Kaling

I finally finished reading this book!

I started reading this book years ago and just never got around to finishing it. The other day I was in the mood to read something not on my phone and decided to check out the small stack of books I brought with me when we moved from Ohio. That's when I spotted this book half read and decided it wouldn't take me long to finish.

Why I Like This Book

I like how this book is divided into section and sub-sections. Each section is about a time in Mindy's life and each sub-section or "chapter" is like a short essay on a certain topic or aspect of the overall section. This is probably how I would write a book about my life -- if anyone cared to read it! Because of the way this book is written it is very easy to read.

My Favorite "Chapters"

There are many "chapters" and moments in this book that I enjoyed here are a few: 
  • Karaoke Etiquette
  • Day Jobs
  • Matt & Ben & Mindy & Brenda
  • All About The Office
  • Contributing Nothing at Saturday Night Live
  • The Day I Stopped Eating Cupcakes
  • Somewhere in Hollywood Someone Is Pitching This Movie
  • I Love Irish Exits
  • When Your Not Skinny, This is What People Want You to Wear
  • Revenge Fantasies While Jogging
  • Strict Instructions for My Funeral

Why You Should Read This Book

If you like funny women then you will like this book! As may be evident by some of my favorite "chapters", Mindy talks about things we can all relate to in her own uniquely quirky way. As a fan of The Office I loved to hear about her experience working on the show and the dynamics she had with the crew and actors. Mindy as a nanny was something I could totally connect with. She describes her awkward relationship with the parents and sneaking snack foods when the kids are asleep (who doesn't do that?). Mindy has a way of looking at the world and making relatable moments funny. If you have seen her show The Mindy Project you will understand. This book would be great for the casual reader or to bring along on a vacation.

I look forward to picking up her latest book in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment