Friday, March 28, 2014

Exfoliate with Coffee Grounds


credit: cosmosmagazine.com
Since I have decided to start using natural beauty products I have noticed a lot of DIY (do it yourself) recipes. One of the more popular recipes types are scrubs. I tried a few with Brown Sugar and Raw Sugar, but I felt guilty taking items from the kitchen that were precious to my sweet tooth. So when I saw this tweet by Beautylish, I was super excited to try it. Coffee grounds are something we throw out anyway, so why not repurpose them?!


Now when I make coffee I collect the used grounds in a non-breakable kitchen storage box and keep it in the refrigerator till I'm ready to exfoliate. Before my shower I add a  little of my favorite skin oil to lightly coat the coffee grounds, I would suggest Jojoba. Once in the shower I take small handfuls of coffee ground and start rubbing (arms, legs, back...) I should tell you this can get messy and will make your bathroom and body smell like coffee for a short while. After a good scrub my skin feels soft and renewed. This works very well on areas like knees, elbows, and feet. Quick tip: if you exfoliate before shaving you get a closer shave! After a scrub down, I proceed to washing my body with my usual body soap and get on with the rest of my shower.

Caution:
  • NOT FOR YOUR FACE! I would not suggest using coffee ground on the face as they are coarse, especially if you have sensitive skin. Look for something that will exfoliate more gently. One of my favorite ways to exfoliate gently is with a mask.
  •  DON'T SLIP! Make sure you are not leaving any oil residue on your shower floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment