Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Product Review: Organic Wear Mascara







Physicians Formula Organic Wear 

100% Natrual Fakeout vs. Origin Mascara


In the world of natural cosmetics there is one item everyone is searching for: an amazing natural mascara. When I was playing with the idea of switching to natural beauty products I had just run out of mascara. So after doing some research with the help of a popular beauty blogger I saw Organic Wear 100% Natural Fakeout Mascara getting some attention and decided to give it a try because it was readily available at my local Target store. I tried it and I can tell you I am now a fan of natural mascara. Recently, after my Fakeout Mascara was on it’s last leg, I purchased Organic Wear 100% Natural Origin Mascara. The following is a review and comparison of my experience:



Product Claims

100% Recyclable Eco-Brush defines each lash with ultra-soft plastic bristles. 100% Free of Harsh Chemicals, Synthetic Preservatives, Parabens, Clumping, Smudging, Flaking, Fibers & Dyes. Hypoallergenic. Safe for sensitive eyes and contact lens wearers.

Ingredients

Fakeout: Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Fruit Water*, Glycerin*, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Beeswax*, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax*, Tapioca Starch*, Hydrolyzed Corn Starch, Stearic Acid, Jojoba Esters, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Powder*, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Extract*, Ceiba Pentandra Fiber Powder, Cellulose, Nylon-10/10, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract*, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract*, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil*, Olea Europaea (Olive) Leaf Extract*, Glycerin, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Water, Glyceryl Caprylate, Leuconostoc / Radish Root Ferment Filtrate May Contain: Iron Oxides, Titanium Dioxide *Produced From Organic Farming.

Origin: Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Fruit Water*, Glycerin*, *Iron Oxides, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Beeswax*, Jojoba Esters, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax*, Tapioca Starch*, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Extract*, Stearic Acid, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil*, Olea Europaea (Olive) Leaf Extract*, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract*, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract*, Cellulose Gum, Glycerin, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Glyceryl Caprylate, Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate May Contain: Titanium Dioxide  *Produced From Organic Farming.

Price & Quantity

Fakeout: $9.95
Origin: $9.95

These products are not hard to find. They are available at a number of national stores and online.

How to Use

Sweep mascara brush from lash base to tips. Apply multiple coats for added volume.

Comparison

The biggest difference between these two products is the packaging and the applicator brush.


Fakeout: I am a fan of this packaging because it does not look like an eco or green product. The shape of the applicator handle is very unique without feeling strange in your hand. This product has a fatter rubber applicator of the two and is slightly shorter with finer rubber bristles. The size did not take long to adjust to and seems comparable to other applicators on the market. With that in mind, this mascara separates the lashes well without clumping while it lengthened and added volume. I would attribute the volume I experienced to the applicator.


Origin: This packaging is more eco and green inspired. This product has a slimmer rubber applicator of the two and is slightly longer with thicker  rubber bristles. The size was comfortable and seems similar to other applicators on the market, however the thicker rubber bristles act to separate better then the Fakeout mascara. With that in mind, this mascara separates the lashes very well without clumping while adding length. I would say of the two this did not add as much volume. I would attribute the results I experienced to the applicator.




The Good and the Bad


Here are the pros:


  • Lengthens
  • Separates
  • Less Clumping
  • Covers from base to tip
  • Easily washed away


Why I liked them:

I have long eyelashes that stick straight forward (they don’t have much natural upward curl) and being a blonde, my eyelashes are also not very dark. I’m happy to report that these mascaras cover from base to tip very nicely and highlight the length of lashes. Both applicators do separate lashes and do not encourage clumping (however, this does not always apply to additional layers of mascara or reapplication). I love how it has made my naked eyelashes feel! They feel moisturized and soft, not dry or brittle. These mascaras are also easily washed away with gentle soap or oil. I like that I can easily correct any mascara applying accidents.

Here are the con’s:
  • Flakes
  • Smudges
  • Does not hold curl
  • Minimal volume

Why they fell short for me:

Knowing that I have long eyelashes that stick straight forward (that don’t have much natural upward curl) finding a mascara to hold curl is always something I look for. Unfortunately (I’m not surprise), I did not find that with these mascaras. This is something I have learned to live with and is only a minor issue for me. Also, these mascaras don’t provide a great amount of volume. I might have long lashes but I am always looking for added fullness. These don’t quite hit the mark, but do provided a natural look for everyday.

The biggest issues I noticed was the smudging and flaking. I have noticed that with my oily skin smudging does occur unintentionally. I try my best to avoid touching my eye area. Additionally, flaking is something that I did noticed. This usually happens if I itched my eyes. Also, I have noticed flaking at the end of the night or when I have had the mascara for a while. I would suggest replacing your mascara if you are experiencing frequent flaking.


The Verdict


Overall, I have to say this is a decent natural mascara for the price and availability. The ingredient lists look very similar to me (I'm no chemist by any means), which only gives me further validation of my feeling that these two products are similar in many ways. However, my favorite of the two products would be the Organic Wear 100% Natural Origin Mascara. Why? Because while Fakeout has some added volume. Origin is better suited to lengthen and separate my long lashes. It really comes down to preference of applicator for me. I would buy these products again, but I am still on the hunt for the holy grail of natural mascaras. 


No comments:

Post a Comment