Friday, March 25, 2016

March Favorites 2016

It's that time of the month again! This time around I'll be featuring a list of things I enjoyed from March. So here we go...


Activities

Reading


I calculated I've read seven books in a month time! That's an average of a book every 4.3 days. I didn't know how much I missed reading till I got my Fire tablet last month for my birthday. I use to read a lot during summer breaks in high school and in my early collage years. However, around the time I met my now husband there were just other interests and responsibilities that occupied my days. Plus, I moved away and 95% of my unread books were still in my bedroom at my parents house. Six years later, I still can't bring myself to download any of the books that I know are sitting collecting dust on the book shelves of my adolescence. Sorry Harry Potter, we will be reunited again -- promise!

Books

Honesty by Seth King


I didn't know there were so many ways to describe love and pain in 219 pages, but somehow Seth King was able to accomplish just that. I felt trapped and consumed by this book. The only way out was through to the very last page!

The last time I felt consumed or trapped by a book(s) was while I had finally gotten around to reading the Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins over a year ago. I hadn't read anything seriously for probably years but work was slow and I decided to dust off the box set my husband had bought after we saw the first movie. I was in the middle of reading through the second book when I found out my grandma was in the hospital suffering from a stroke and heart attack. While Hunger Games is a great series in its own right and is beloved by many -- I lost myself in the pages of these books for those reasons and more. I was 894 miles away from my family and the only thing I was able to do was wait by the phone, lay in bed and became Katniss Everdeen during her darkest days. My husband thought I was obsessed and loosing it -- maybe I was. I must of reread a combination of these books three times over experiencing Katniss's emotions again and again before my grandma finally passed away ending her 10 day fight. I had lost my grandpa, her husband, to an extended illness just a few years before but this time was different -- she was supposed to be the healthy grandparent -- and clearly I was having a hard time dealing. I was hiding in the pages of a book, blanked by my own grief and I couldn't let go -- I had trapped myself.

My point is, Honesty is a book that will make you feel raw emotion intensely and for that reason I knew it was special. I wanted so badly for these characters to have a happy ending. As I turned the pages holding my breath and foolishly willing for the fairy tale ending I knew would never come, I again found myself lost within a book. This time for 2.5 days and I survived to tell you about it.

To learn more about this book and its characters check out my post on Honesty here. Already read Honesty? Check out the soundtrack I put together for the book here.

Have you ever had an emotions experience reading a book? Let me know about it in the comment section below!


Music

iii - Miike Snow


If you've read my blog you must know by now how much I love music and sharing music I like. This month I found Miike Snow's latest album and I love it! Every song is truly great but here is a list of a few notable tracks:
  • Genghis Khan
  • Over and Over
  • Heart of Me
  • Back of the Car
  • Lonely Life
  • My Trigger
Listen to the full album here


Foods

evol. Spicy Uncured Bacon & Egg Burrito


I'm not always good about eating breakfast. In the past I would make a cup of coffee, get distracted and not eat anything until lunch time. However, recently my husband and I have started working out more so I can't afford to loose the extra calories I need to keep me going. Lately we've been getting these tasty breakfast burritos that include bacon, roasted potatoes, jalapeno, cheddar and cage-free eggs. My husband love them probably more then I do, but they are my current favorite breakfast burrito and we have had them almost everyday in March.


Reese's Eggs


It's Easter time and the peanut butter eggs are here! I try and eat as organic as I can, but even knowing what's in these little treats -- I can't seem to break my addiction to Reese's seasonal peanut butter cups. It's bad, but I never let myself buy too many. Go me! If you didn't know, every holiday season Reese's puts out a fun different "shape". Let's be real -- the other seasonal shapes suck! What kind of Christmas tree is that??!! They don't ever quite look right and for that reason the egg is my favorite. It's pretty hard to mess up an oval! You can thank my inner fat kid for this featured favorite! hahaha 

What's the one snack or food you just can't pass up? Let me know in the comment section down below!


Health

Nature's Way ALIVE! Gummy Vitamins


My husband will be the first to tell you I'm awful at taking vitamins. My bad! We try and eat as healthy as possible while limiting the amount of processed foods and take-out we eat. Some weeks are more hectic than others which means we don't always sit down to a balance meal. So vitamins help me make sure I'm getting all the nutrients I need -- of course only if you take them. I have a horrible memory at time and remembering to take gross pills isn't exactly at the forefront of my mind most days, BUT these things taste like fruit snacks! If there is anything I love just as much as a Reese's peanut butter egg -- it's a good pack of fruit snacks. Taking these vitamins is much easier for me to remember and taking more than the recommended number is a struggle some days.


_____

What were some of your favorite things from the month of March? Let me know in the comment section below.

2 comments:

  1. Every time I hear the song "Genghis Khan" I always think he says "Kangaskhan" and I laugh every time. I'm a little sad because I feel like I haven't had the chance to explore new favorites. I will definitely have to check out Honesty and those multivitamins because I am also terrible at taking them. Great post as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally go around singing "Kangaskhan" all the time also!

      Delete