Sunday, March 20, 2016

Soundtrack: Honesty

About a day ago I finished the book Honesty by Seth King and I posted my thoughts on the book here. After publishing the post, I found myself at the gym running on the treadmill with Cole Furman still in head -- his voice still ringing in my ears. I put my head phones on, turned up the volume and pushed play on my recent unpolished playlist. This playlist of random songs was made months ago but I hadn't gotten sick of the songs yet so at this point it's my go-to. Then something happened... every song was about Cole and Nick. I ran along listening to song after song trying to distance myself from the voice in my head and the words I had just read -- it was no use. Each song brought on a memory from the book like I was watching the movie of Honesty in my mind -- you know, if it was out of order and blurry like a day dream.

I'm not going to lie, I'm feeling a little obsessed and crazy at this point. (I know you're thinking it!) How could this random playlist on shuffle speak to me this way? Well it did... and my mind will not rest until I've crafted the perfect Honesty soundtrack. So here are the songs to the movie in my head! For best results listen in order.

**sorry for any spoilers**

My Honesty Soundtrack

1. Kids - Lady Danville
Cole leaves the gym hurt, embarrassed and a little angry.
2. I Want to Feel Alive - The Lighthouse and The Whaler
Cole downloads the dating app.
3. Can You Tell - Ra Ra Roit
Cole and Nick exchange glances in gym class.
4. Make You Mine - Public
Cole and Nick become friends.
5. The Fear - Ben Howard
Nick freaks out and pulls away from Cole.
6. No Harm - The Boxer Rebellion
Nick just can't stay away -- he messages Cole.
7. The Fool - Ryn Weaver
Cole agrees to a limited relationship with Nick.
8. ILYSB - LANY
Nick and Cole hangout and ride around on the beach before sunset.
9. I Need You - M83
The night Cole spends sleeping and not sleeping on Nick's floor.
10. Mercy - Muse
Nick is fighting his inner demons after Cole leave the next morning -- he's losing control.
11. The Immortals - Kings of Leon
Nick and Cole hang out the next day, Nick can't withhold anymore.
12. Hands to Myself - Selena Gomez
Their love is electric and addictive.
13. Nightlight - Silversun Pickups
Nick wants the best of both worlds, so he does everything he can to hide Cole from the other parts of his life.
14. Can't Deny My Love - Brandon Flowers
The shadows start to roll in and the fights begin.
15. Trembling Hand - The Temper Trap
A break up and all connections cut -- the heartache sets in.
16. Won't Stop Running - A Great Big World
Cole reaches out to Nick, he refuses to let go of what they have.
17. Only Love - Ben Howard
Nick accepts Cole back into his life and after the dust settles, they retreat into their little world
18. Fire and Flood - Vance Joy
Maybe their love isn't enough -- the cracks widen. Cole knows the end is inevitable, but hold on with everything he has.
19. One Call Away - Charlie Puth
Nick has disappeared and hasn't contacted Cole. Cole can't help but wait by the phone.
20. Open Season - High Highs
Nick invites Cole on a road trip. They ride in the car together in their own little world feeling excitement and uncertainty.
21. Skinny Love - Birdy
They know! It's too risky. It's over.
22. Take Care - City and Colour
Cole contemplates Nick's actions and his decision to try and live a "normal" life.
23. Stitches - Shawn Mendes
Cole buries himself in his work. He's walking around town trying to get interviews for his blog.
24. Crazy - Teemid, ft. Joie Tan
Cole watches people dance through the window of a crowded night club while he stands outside on the sidewalk.
25. Hang On - Ellie Golding
Cole finds out about the accident. He's envisioning the events of that day and this song hangs in the air as we watch Nick in his car.
26. Dark Roman Wine - Snow Patrol
Cole is devastated - he's crying, he's angry, he's hopeless, he's empty.
27. Heal - Tom Odell
Cole looks for answers, he drives to meet Nick's sister.
28. I'm Gonna Be (500 miles) - Sleeping at Last
Cole now knows where to find Nick. He takes Nick's letter and goes to visit him. He decides what he wants his future to be.
29. Never Forget You - Zara Larsson, MNEK
(Credits roll on this movie in my head.)
Bonus Track: Mr. Brightside - The Killers (Jacques La Cont's T.W.Duke Remix)

(1hr 56min)



I know the order of these songs might not follow the books events exactly, but I think it does a good job of highlighting them. Now that this playlist is made, I can let the voice in my head die down and revisit ColeyAndNickyVille through this "soundtrack" whenever I want.


I hope you enjoyed this list of songs! Let me know what song(s) you would have on your Honesty soundtrack in the comment section down below! 

No comments:

Post a Comment